Contrasting Top Resorts in Nassau, Bahamas: How to Decide Which is For You
As the capital of the Bahamas, Nassau is the place to be for anyone who loves the sun, sand, and sea. And, having ventured to this destination just last month, I know how many resort picks there are to choose from, making it difficult for busy parents to decide on the “perfect” one.
So, today, I’m taking care of the heavy lifting for you—contrasting the top resorts in Nassau, Bahamas. No matter which you decide to go with for your next getaway, you’ll without a doubt return from your beach lover’s escape feeling renewed and refreshed!
But, don’t say I didn’t caution you that you’ll be longing to travel back to paradise sooner rather than later.
The Top Four Nassau, Bahamas Resorts on My List
- Location: This popular Bahamas retreat is located on Paradise Island, approximately 20 minutes from the airport. Everything you could ever want and need is here—with the exception of a grocery store.
- Quality: Atlantis offers four towers—each at varying levels of luxury. Having just toured the newly remodeled Coral Tower, which is located at the center of the resort, I’d recommend staying here for the best value and quality. There’s no doubt the resort is grand and meticulously kept. And, while it’s luxurious, it’s not at all stuffy! It’s still very kid-friendly and feels like a place where you simply want to play and explore.
- Food & Drink Selection: Dining plans can be purchased upon booking. The Basic (2 course—breakfast & dinner) is valued at $96/adult (kids 11 and under eat free with purchase). And, the Premium (3 course) is valued at $170/adult (kids 11 and under also eat free with purchase). VAT and mandatory gratuity IS NOT included in these prices.
- Kids’ Club: Offered for kids ages 3-12, with three sessions throughout the day—one from 10:30am until 1pm (with lunch included), another from 2:30pm until 5:30pm, and the last one from 6:30pm until 10:30pm. The schedule is packed with fun activities like culinary lessons, art, theatre, and outdoor play. This resort experience, however, isn’t free (rates are listed in the price comparison section below).
When thinking about the Bahamas, Atlantis might be the first hotspot that comes to your mind. And, for good reason as it certainly serves as a hub of fun and sun for the whole family! But, there are a few more options you can choose from. Keep reading for more info!
- Location: Baha Mar is located along Cable Beach—approximately 10-15 minutes from downtown Nassau and 20-25 minutes from Atlantis.
- Quality: TripAdvisor gives this resort 4.5 stars. And, for a good reason. Baha Mar is considered the luxury resort in Nassau. It’s brand new, and the resort complex is enormous, with 1,600 rooms to be exact. The suites are sophisticated and modern, and cater more to grown-up tastes versus family-friendly vibes. Additionally, it hosts the Caribbean’s largest casino, 10 restaurants, bars, six pools, and upscale shops like Tiffany & Co. and Rolex. And, for golf lovers, it offers a 72-par ocean-view golf course!
- Food & Drink Selection: Because the sweet suites are without in-suite kitchens, dining out is a must. You can enjoy á la carte dining at 10 restaurants ranging from super chic sushi to a casual poolside grill. And, if you get a little parched from being out in the sun, there are plenty of bars and lounges to grab a beachy libation.
- Kids’ Club: It’s free-of-charge for ages 3-12, and is open from 9-12pm and reopens for the afternoon from 1-4pm.
- Atlantis Resort Access: Guests of Baha Mar are not permitted to visit Atlantis as a guest.
- Location: This resort is approximately 10-15 minutes from downtown Nassau, and 20-25 minutes from the infamous Atlantis Resort. It’s located along Cable Beach and across the street from Grand Hyatt Baha Mar Resort. Remember, it offers the Caribbean’s largest casino and some of the island’s most renowned dining options! Not to mention, The Daiquiri Shack and quaint Straw Market shops filled with local souvenirs are also within walking distance.
- Quality: With a rating of 3.5 stars on TripAdvisor, I would rate the same for overall quality. But, when it comes to the Kids’ Club and service, I’d have to give it four stars. The resort is filled with the friendliest and most accommodating staff we’ve ever encountered. As for the beach, it was calm and stunning. During peak travel season, however, it can get a little crowded. Overall, the pool areas (complete with a swim-up bar!) are in excellent condition and offer fun scheduled activities to have some fun in the sun throughout the day.
- Food & Drink Selection: Thanks to this resort being all-inclusive, all dining is included! Take your pick from a multitude of restaurants. Cilantro offers aromas and flavors of Mexico. Nikkei, a fusion of Japanese, Cantonese, and Peruvian cuisine. Estavida, an upbeat tapas lounge. Aqua, an á la carte restaurant featuring Italian cuisine. The Market Place, an international buffet. O’Grille, serving up casual beach fare, And, Wet Bar mixing up drinks with service directly in the pool and on the beach. Best of all, you can enjoy 24-hour room service! What’s not included, however, is a dining experience at Black Angus—the resort’s steakhouse. Additional charges will apply.
- Kids’ Club: The Explorers Kids’ Club is free-of-charge for ages 5-12, and is open from 9am until 9pm (with a short lunchtime closure). It was one of the best we’ve ever experienced thanks to loads-of-fun activities such as water balloon fights, scuba lessons in the pool, and arts and crafts. Also, the club’s team members were fantastic!
- Atlantis Resort Access: Day passes to the Atlantis waterscape, Dolphin Cay, marine habitat, and beaches are available for purchase as a guest of Meliá, on a space-limited basis. You can purchase these online.
Ultimately, if you’re looking for a smaller and less-crowded resort, you’ll love Meliá as everything is easily accessible and feels much more intimate than Grand Hyatt Baha Mar or Atlantis.
- Location: This resort is located on Cable Beach, approximately 10 minutes from Baha Mar, and with grocery stores and restaurants a very close cab ride away. Sandyport itself is situated on a marina with beautiful views and a small village with additional restaurants inside. And, it offers a beautiful private beach just a short walk away along with an oceanfront restaurant, which accepts room charges.
- Quality: TripAdvisor gives Sandyport 4 stars. It’s well maintained and located in a very pretty setting. While it’s one of the higher-rated resorts in Nassau, it’s small (with a condo community feel) and doesn’t offer a wide range of amenities and activities—especially for kids. That said, it’s perfect for those wanting some relaxing, intimate family time on a budget in paradise. Big value here!
- Food & Drink Selection: There are no restaurants or bars on-site. But, again, there’s a beachfront restaurant within walking distance (and it accepts room charges!). Additionally, the resort offers shuttle service to Baha Mar and the grocery store once throughout each week.
- Atlantis Resort Access: Guests of Sandyport are not permitted to visit Atlantis as a guest.
In the end, for a family that needs a two-bedroom suite, Sandyport is going to be your most affordable option!
A Detailed Price Comparison of the Top Four Nassau, Bahamas Resorts
*includes value-based add-ons
Please note, these rates are based on a summer getaway from June 21-25, 2018. And, for a family of two adults and two kids (ages 3 and 6).
- The Royal—Deluxe Queen Harbour View: $1,957.59 (includes taxes and $100 credit promo)
- Basic (2 course): $96/adult (kids 11 and under eat free with purchase)
- Premium (3 course): $170/adult (kids 11 and under eat free with purchase)
- Includes breakfast and dinner, not lunch; VAT and gratuity IS NOT included in these prices
- If you’re searching for affordable lunch options, some of our favorite mommy bloggers recommend Virgil’s Real BBQ at ~$80 for a family of four. Or, Marina Pizzeria at ~$60 for a family of four.
- Prices range from $55 to $80 per session. Trust me, though. You won’t be feeling an ounce of guilt dropping the kids off at these fun-filled sessions! They do it up.
- Grand Queen Room: $1,512.27 (includes taxes)
- Two Bedroom Suite (Or Residence – Without Sleeper Sofa): $4,705.02 (includes taxes)
- One Bedroom Suite (Without Sleeper Sofa): Not available for these particular dates
- Any room can be upgraded to Club Level for $150/day, which includes a full breakfast and evening reception with a few food options and adult beverages. Evening reception food seems to be enough for families with young kids. Water, soft drinks, and coffee available all day.
- Our favorite mommy bloggers have found that it takes approximately $30-$50 a day for a family of four to enjoy lunch. Options include:
o El Jefe Food Truck: $8 Burritos, $4 Sopes @ ~$20/adult
o Kids Meal by the Pool: $7-$10; Adult burgers or salads: $12-$20
o Stix Noodle Bar = $50 for two noodle dishes to feed the family
- Available for FREE!
Day Passes to Atlantis for Baha Mar Guests:
- Not applicable; Baha Mar guests cannot purchase these
Prices include all food and drinks for the family:
- Standard Classic Island View Room with Two Queen Beds: $1,568.00 (includes 17.5% tax; FREE cancellation)
- Connecting Room Option* with 2 Standard Rooms: $3,136.00 (includes 17.5% tax; FREE cancellation; *when booking: verify that the room can connect under more info and services available. Add special request to booking and call a few days prior to check-in)
- One Bedroom Oceanfront Suite: $4,228.00 (includes 17.5% tax; FREE cancellation)
- Available for FREE!
Day Passes to Atlantis for Meliá Guests
- $161/adult and $99/child
- Follow this link to explore more day booking options
- 2 Bedroom Deluxe with full kitchen: $2,560
Day Passes to Atlantis for Sandyport Guests:
- Not applicable; Sandyport guests cannot purchase these
- Two Double Beds (& free breakfast!): $1,714.45 (includes taxes and fees)
Day Passes to Atlantis for Comfort Suites Paradise Island Guests
- Stay includes FULL ACCESS to Atlantis Resort
Well, there you have it. If you’ve been playing around with the idea of taking your travel lovers to the Bahamas, I’ve narrowed down the lengthy list of resorts to only include my top family-friendly, affordable options.
Give your travel BFFs at Tripbound a call today at 1-888-816-5214 if you’re ready to book your escape to paradise. We’d love to match you with your perfect vacation in no time!
Have you stayed at any of the four resorts listed here? Share your experience and insight in the comments section below. We’d love to hear from you!