The Top 5 Winter Activities to Enjoy in Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Steamboat Springs, Colorado is home to skiing, the Cowboy Downhill, the Great Rockies, and more! And, today, I’m here to tell you about our favorite winter activities while staying in Ski Town, U.S.A.
1. Steamboat Springs Winter Events
This town is packed with varying events all year round, but let’s start with the winter:
- The MusicFest at Steamboat – A festival that offers the largest group ski trip of its kind in the nation. MusicFest brings the finest Texas and Americana music to the world-class ski resort of Steamboat, Colorado for a week full of sport and song. Most importantly, it boasts a stunning roster that includes both legends and rising talents alike.
- Bud Light Cowboy Downhill – Steamboat’s director of skiing, Billy Kidd, as well as Larry Mahan (6x All-Around World Champion Cowboy), once invited their professional rodeo friends to the mountain in Steamboat Springs. It was obviously an instant hit, and is now one of Steamboat Springs’ most popular winter events. With more than 100 of the best professional rodeo cowboys competing, this event is sure to impress.
- Winter Carnival – This more than 100-year-old snow-filled carnival is the oldest event west of the Mississippi and thrown by one of the long-standing and largest winter sports clubs in the United States. So, obviously it can’t be missed. And, here’s why: for four days, the entire town is taken over by absolute fun. Racing, ski jumping, parades, and skijoring (being pulled by a dog, horse, or motor vehicles on skis) on Lincoln Avenue. But, it doesn’t stop when the sun goes down as the legendary Lighted Man and fireworks display lights up the town. Surely a sight to see!
2. Moonlit Snowshoe Tour & Dinner
Take a day off the slopes and snap on snowshoes to hike the guided one-mile nature trail. Your guide will teach you all about the forest, surrounding areas, and community of Steamboat Springs. And, after the hour is up, you’ll navigate back to the Thunderhead building where you can give into your appetite with a delicious dinner at Hazie’s, which is all included in your ticket price. How cool is that?
3. Hot Springs
This whole concept of natural holdings of hot water is truly fantastic. With most of our staff growing up on the east coast, nestled in suburbia, where hot tubs only existed in hotels or your rich friend’s house, this outdoor, natural-water thing is fascinating. Wouldn’t you say?
Here are a few hotspots to visit:
Strawberry Park Hot Springs – Just picture it now. You’re relaxing in 104-degree mineral water while the snow piles up in the surrounding Steamboat Springs forest. It’s ideal after a long day of skiing or hiking! And, you can even enjoy a massage in one of the private huts on-site, or a watsu therapy in the private pool.
Old Town Hot Springs – This year-round multi-use complex located in downtown is going to make you win “Mama of the Year” award when you bring your travel crew along. Why? Because of the two 230-foot waterslides and floating obstacle course! Even your little ones will have something to be entertained by thanks to the zero depth kiddie pool. Best of all, every bit of water originates from the all-natural Heart Spring and eventually flows into the pools. The pools vary in temperature from 103 degrees to the 80-degree lap pool.
4. Kids Ski Free & Military Discounts
Here at Tripbound, we believe in making vacations affordable for everyone. So, I feel it’s our duty to let you know of free activities and discounts as well. Steamboat is the pioneer of Kids Ski Free, so don’t pass up this opportunity.
If your kids are under the age of 12 and you, the adult, have purchased a 5-or-more day adult lift ticket, you’ll receive one children’s lift ticket for free! Of course, you’ll need proof of their age (think birth certificate), so don’t forget to bring it along with you on your trip.
And, for the active duty US service members, their spouses and dependents, and even retired military & spouses, Steamboat Springs shows appreciation for their service and sacrifice with 20% off lift tickets, snow sports school, and equipment rentals. What a great way to thank those who have served and continue to serve!
5. Date Night!
There are many romantic options here for you and your partner, but I’ll just focus on two of them today.
First up, you can leave your skis at home. Try the scenic gondola ride, but be sure to save your ticket. You’ll receive 10% off your lunch order at Hazie’s, Stoker, or another Steamboat Ski Resort food & beverage outlet. Simply show it to your server to receive your discount!
The second? A sleigh ride dinner. Yes, please!
This is just as romantic as The Notebook, but without a boat in a pond full of swans and happenstance rain. Instead, you’ll be pulled by draft horses in a sleigh around Yampa Valley and its rolling hills.
And, when you place your foot back into the white snow, your fairytale doesn’t have to end. Your three-course dinner in the winter clubhouse awaits you with all the magic fairy dust, like prime beef and free-range chicken, followed by coffee and dessert.
So, what do you say? Are you eager to book your dreamy winter wonderland getaway to Steamboat Springs? We’ve got just the accommodations to make it happen thanks to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Steamboat Springs.
Visit the resort page to get an instant quote or call the Resort Specialists at Tripbound today at 1-888-816-5214 to secure your dates before availability fills up! Trust us – you won’t want to miss out on the breathtaking views, spacious two-bedroom suites, and the on-site steam room and sauna.
That's what we do! Our Resort Specialists will match you with the best suite deals your hard-earned money can buy at family-friendly resorts across the country - all at no cost to you!
Let Us Save You Time and Money. Fill out the information below and we'll send you a quote on the best suite deal for your next vacation.